Friday, July 24, 2026

Stored Prayers, Sovereign Timing, and the Miracles in Between

Sitting in the Quiet In-Between

I went into my esophageal procedure this week expecting a routine step forward in my swallowing journey—focusing on my esophagus and hoping for clarity. But if there is one lesson chronic medical challenges teach us, it is that our journeys rarely follow our expected human scripts.

During the procedure, my doctor found an unexpected visual concern regarding the tissue lining my esophagus. He immediately took a biopsy to send off for pathology testing. Just like that, the trajectory of my day shifted. I found myself sitting in that familiar, quiet in-between—the space of waiting, holding my breath, and anticipating results.

It is a deeply vulnerable place to be. Your mind wants to race ahead, to anticipate every scenario, and to wrestle with the unknown. Yet, right in the middle of that vulnerability, God showed up in His quiet providence. He gave me a gentle, timely reminder of who is holding my story, who has always held my story, and why I can trust Him with tomorrow.

Proverbs 3:5–6 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

A Note Tucked Between the Pages

The other day, my mom was looking through my Mamaw's Bible. She passed away almost two years ago, leaving behind a legacy of faith that still warms our hearts. Tucked tenderly between the pages of her well-worn Scripture was a handwritten note in her distinctive, familiar handwriting.

On it, she had written a simple, heartfelt prayer:

"Jesus please heal Felicia completely and thank you holy Father."


Holding that slip of paper brought immediate tears to my eyes. It was a profound reminder that long before I fully understood the depth of my injuries or the long road ahead, someone who loved me was faithfully carrying my name directly before the throne of God.

It immediately brought to mind the vivid imagery in the Book of Revelation, where John describes the atmosphere of heaven and how our earthly petitions are received by God:

Revelation 5:8 "And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints."

Later in the vision, John sees these prayers again at the heavenly altar:

Revelation 8:3–4 "And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand."

What an breathtaking promise! Our prayers are never wasted, forgotten, or lost in the ether. God hears them, treasures them, holds them in golden vials, and answers them according to His perfect wisdom and timing.

Remembering the First Miracle

As I reflected on that handwritten note, my mind drifted back to another miracle early in my recovery. Years ago, after my severe motorcycle accident, my right arm would not move at all due to extensive nerve damage. The medical team discussed performing a nerve graft—a complex surgery to reconnect the damaged pathway in hopes of restoring function.

It felt like an overwhelming hurdle. But before that surgery ever became necessary, something incredible happened: my arm began moving again on its own. The neural pathway reconnected, and I never needed that graft. It was a clear, unmistakable touch of God’s restoring hand.

Now, after my recent esophagus procedure, I find myself standing in a strikingly similar place. My doctors explain that my swallowing difficulties aren't simply a matter of strengthening muscles through routine exercise. The deeper challenge is that the nerve pathway between my brain and the involuntary muscles responsible for swallowing must reconnect and function properly. In so many ways, it mirrors what I faced with my arm.

I admitted to my mom that I couldn't understand why one nerve-related issue had fully resolved back then while the other hasn't yet. When I mentioned that connection to her, she looked at me and quietly said something I will never forget:

"I strongly believe your arm recovered because that's something your Mamaw specifically prayed for."

The Persistent Echo of Faith

I can't say exactly how God chooses to answer each individual prayer. I don't know every single petition my Mamaw prayed for me in the quietness of her room, and I certainly don't remember every desperate prayer I prayed for myself during those raw, painful early days.

But I do know this absolute truth: God hears the prayers of His people.

Psalm 34:15 "The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry."

Sometimes He answers immediately. Sometimes He answers years later. And sometimes He answers after the warrior who prayed has already finished her race and gone home to be with Him. Finding that handwritten note reminded me that even though my Mamaw is no longer here on earth, the God she prayed to is very much alive and present. He has not forgotten me, nor has He forgotten a single word written on that piece of paper.

So while I wait on medical results and continue praying for healing in my swallowing, I find deep hope in remembering that the same God who restored movement to my arm is still fully able to do what seems humanly impossible today. He holds every nerve, every outcome, and every prayer stored up in those golden vials.

Jeremiah 32:17 "Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee."

God in the Details and the Exact Timing

Recently in Sunday school, I was studying the story of Elijah in 1 Kings. Elijah declared a severe drought to King Ahab as a direct judgment upon his kingdom for their disobedience and idol worship. In those days, Baal was worshipped as the god of weather, rain, and agricultural prosperity.

When God answered their idolatry with a drought, it wasn't a random penalty. It was a direct, intentional response that exposed the complete powerlessness of their false god.

1 Kings 17:1 "And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word."

That lesson was a striking reminder that God is meticulously in the details. His timing is exact, His logic is intentional, and His purpose is always specific.

I see that same sovereign design woven throughout my own medical journey right now:

  • Step 1: If I hadn’t been working closely with my speech therapist, I wouldn’t have had the specific swallow study that prompted me to revisit my ENT.
  • Step 2: If I hadn't gone back to my ENT, he wouldn't have suggested this specific procedure—one we hadn't tried yet.
  • Step 3: If we hadn't agreed to move forward with the procedure, he never would have seen the visible tissue abnormality or been able to send it off for a biopsy.

Without those earlier steps, that underlying issue would have remained completely hidden and untreated.

Nothing in this process has been wasted. What felt like a roundabout, indirect path was actually God ordering my steps to reveal what needed to be brought to light. Just as He held the weather in Elijah’s day, He is holding the precise timeline of my health today.

Psalm 37:23 "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way."

Milestone Days and Answers to Prayer

Today marks the 17th anniversary of my motorcycle accident—the day my life changed in an instant, but also the day God began showing me undeniable miracles.

On this exact milestone day, I received a callback from my ENT with the official biopsy results: it is positive for Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE).

While receiving a chronic diagnosis can feel overwhelming on the surface, I genuinely see it as an answer to prayer. If we hadn't gone through every step of this exact process, we would still be in the dark, wondering why my progress felt stalled.

Now, we have clarity. I have a clear follow-up plan with my ENT and a referral to a gastroenterologist to begin targeted treatment to calm the tissue.

Seventeen years ago today, God preserved my life on the pavement. Today, on this exact anniversary, He gave me clarity for my health moving forward. He is still in the details. His timing is still perfect. And He is still answering the prayers stored in those golden vials.

Psalm 28:6–7 "Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him."

 Be encouraged. 🧡

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stored Prayers, Sovereign Timing, and the Miracles in Between

Sitting in the Quiet In-Between I went into my esophageal procedure this week expecting a routine step forward in my swallowing journey—fo...