Thursday, August 13, 2026

Preparing the Way: finding purpose and patience in the process

There are moments on a health journey where the path ahead suddenly comes into focus. It isn’t always the quick, easy answer we might hope for, but it is a path—and having a clear plan of action is something to be profoundly grateful for.

After my recent follow-up GI appointment, I walked away with both a definitive diagnosis and a structured strategy moving forward. As I’ve sat with the news, digested the timelines, and contemplated what this all means, I’m reminded that healing is rarely a single, sudden event. More often, it’s a deliberate process of clearing the ground, building a sturdy foundation, and preparing the way for whatever comes next. Foundations are super important, a physical but Biblical truth.

Isaiah 40:3  “The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.”


The Findings and the 8-Week Plan

During my appointment, my doctor laid out the findings from my recent testing, specifically surrounding Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE)—an inflammatory condition where an overabundance of white blood cells builds up within the esophageal tissue.

A condition I didn’t know I had a few weeks ago.

To tackle this issue directly, we are embarking on an eight-week medical trial starting as soon as insurance approves this medication (hopefully). The regimen involves a combination of targeted therapies: a twice-daily prescription-strength PPI to suppress acid production and minimize tissue irritation, basically like Prilosec, alongside Dupixent, a biologic medication administered as a weekly self-injection (shot).

At the conclusion of these eight weeks, I will undergo a repeat endoscopy. The goal of this second procedure is straightforward yet critical: we need to re-biopsy the tissue to evaluate whether the white blood cell count has dropped and verify that the severe inflammation has subsided.

Being a Realist: Looking Beyond the Inflammation

While I am fully committed to executing this eight-week plan, I want to remain grounded and honest about where things stand. Looking at the broader clinical picture alongside my day-to-day symptoms, I don’t view this endeavor through rose-colored glasses, nor am I falling into pessimism. I am simply approaching the reality of the situation with clear eyes.

Even when this treatment successfully calms the widespread inflammation throughout my esophagus—as we pray and expect it will—I anticipate that the underlying dysfunction with my Upper Esophageal Sphincter (UES) will ultimately prove to be nerve-related. When normal sensation is absent and the muscle fails to relax properly, it points toward an interruption in the neuro-muscular communication pathway between the brain and the digestive tract.

If that proves to be the case, it simply means we will eventually need to chart a new course to bridge that specific gap. Recognizing that reality isn't a defeat; it’s merely reading the map accurately so we know precisely which direction to walk next. Plainly, if calming tissue does not allow the UES muscle the proper muscular function, the culprit is an absent adequate nerve path.

Proverbs 3:5–6  “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”

Addressing the Root: Why the Esophagus Must Come First

It is easy to look at a complex, multi-step medical trial and wonder, "Why do we have to complete this entire phase first if a nerve or sphincter muscle might be the ultimate culprit?"

The answer lies entirely in foundational preparation.

Whether we ultimately discover that the issue with the UES stems purely from a nerve pathway breakdown, or whether calming this environmental irritation is the key that enables the sphincter to resume functioning on its own, the complete esophageal inflammation must be tackled either way. Without addressing the raw, compromised tissue first, it remains a severe, impenetrable roadblock. Even if the UES were to regain perfect mechanical function tomorrow, severe inflammation in the surrounding tissue would still leave swallowing exceptionally difficult—if not impossible.

Trying to repair or retrain a delicate nerve-muscle connection in an environment crowded with inflammatory cells is like trying to build a permanent structure on shifting sand. By taking these eight weeks to settle the tissue now, we eliminate an obstacle that would have halted our progress later down the road. We are clearing away the noise so that when we address nerve and muscle function, we are operating from a stable, healthy baseline.

God is in the Details: The Purpose of Preservation

There is a well-known saying that "the devil is in the details," usually framed as a warning about hidden pitfalls or perfectionist traps. But looking at things through a deeper lens of purpose, I cannot help but turn the phrase around: Au contraire, God is in the details.

These specifics are not trivial facts or minor logistics—they are the exact details He sees, knows, and actively orchestrates. Addressing and documenting this health program for my EoE isn't simply about managing immediate outcomes, tracking diagnostic numbers, or anxiously waiting to see how every test turns out. It is about preservation—preserving the full truth of this journey, honoring the time spent in the waiting, and establishing an authentic record of what it takes to navigate a path like this.

This process of working through every piece and setting the record straight needs to happen either way. Whether a specific medication brings the exact result I hope for or leads us down a secondary diagnostic path, the integrity of the process matters. When you trust the timing and the broader purpose, getting the details right transforms from an act of anxiety into an act of spiritual alignment. It ensures that when things fall into place at the right time, they stand on firm ground.

Preparing the Way for the Table

The ultimate goal of this entire journey has never changed: preparing the way to eat by mouth again.

Every injection, every daily dose, every detailed record, and every medical procedure serves as a deliberate stepping stone toward that destination. While processing all of this information requires significant time and emotional energy, I take profound comfort in knowing that no step is wasted. God works through the orderly, step-by-step details of our lives just as powerfully as He does through sudden, dramatic breakthroughs.

We are taking this one week at a time, trusting the process, and laying an unshakable foundation for complete restoration.

Jeremiah 29:11“‘For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.’”

Beyond Swallowing: Hard Work, Sweat, and Whole-Body Stewardship

At the exact same time I am endeavoring to accomplish these goals for my swallowing and working through oral coordination exercises, I am also refining skills for my broader physical needs. A major focus of mine right now is on my mobility and walking—specifically concentrating on bending my knee properly to create a movement pattern that is graceful, smooth, and natural, rather than stiff and rigid.

Rebuilding movement involves many moving parts, but I am certainly not afraid of hard work, sweat, or physical fatigue. That is what true recovery demands, and it is something I have stepped up to do many times over. In fact, there is an immense sense of satisfaction in feeling strong, feeling that good physical soreness, and knowing that every effort has a clear, intentional purpose behind it.

Sometimes recovery means facing a physical challenge or a piece of exercise equipment that initially feels intimidating, scary, or downright impossible. But I always believe in stepping up to try anyway. The old saying claims that "practice makes perfect," but for me, practice is about persistent progress. If I cannot perform a movement perfectly today, I can build strength to do a little more tomorrow. I’ve even recently pushed past my own initial hesitation and learned to use gym machines that used to intimidate me. Every single session lays another brick in the foundation of my physical independence.

Call it a bit crazy or unusual, but I even went to my very first massage therapy session recently, focusing heavily on cranial and lymphatic work. I am learning to be deeply mindful of my whole body—recognizing how God designed every system to work in harmony, support itself, and communicate across nerve and tissue pathways. In this arena, I am committed to dotting every i and crossing every t, doing everything within my power to honor and care for the body I've been given as it heals.

Expected Opposition

When you make a firm decision to grow, change, or pursue a meaningful goal, don't be surprised when resistance immediately shows up at your door.

The enemy recognizes when you've drawn a line in the sand. Often, that opposition doesn't come as a giant, obvious threat—it comes disguised through everyday situations, sudden obstacles, or even people close to us who have no idea they are being used to derail your progress.

These moments are specifically designed to press on existing insecurities, amplify doubt, and make quitting feel like the easiest option. But when you recognize the pattern for what it is, the dynamic changes. Instead of letting the hurt shut you down, you can choose to reframe it. What was intended to cause discouragement can become the exact fuel that pushes you forward. Let every attempt to make you shrink become the reason you step up, meet your goal, and rise above it.

 Be encouraged. 🧡



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparing the Way: finding purpose and patience in the process

There are moments on a health journey where the path ahead suddenly comes into focus. It isn’t always the quick, easy answer we might hope f...